25 February, 2008

Crochet Instead of Flowers...

Unfortunately, yesterday's events included a visit to a funeral home. A dear family friend's 80-year-old mother passed away.

When we went to pay our respects, I noticed that instead of flowers draped over the casket, there was a beautiful, spring-colored (yellows and purples and white were the predominant colors), granny-square afghan.

As we had never seen that done before, my husband asked our friend about the significance of the afghan; and she replied that the funeral home had recommended the use of a quilt or blanket instead of the expense of flowers since the body was to be cremated. This particular afghan had been chosen because her mother's mother had crocheted it.

What a touching link between the generations... although, I am sure that when the mother originally created it; she never imagined that it would cover her daughter at life's end...
And then this artifact can be passed down to our Friend... I am sure that it will be a comforting object to have in the days to come... and who may pass it down to her granddaughter (whom she is raising)...

Like I said, I have never thought of using an afghan in that way... but it has definitely opened my mind to look at how crochet... or any craft... can play a part in our lives...

-------------------------------
Please pray for our Friend (and her two grandchildren)... who has lost both her mother and her daughter in such a short time..

-------------------------------
Also please pray for my FIL... who had to be taken to the hospital yesterday because of the flu... he got to come last night... but is far from well...

---------------------------
A "shout-out" to B3: I love you...it will all be ok.

No comments: