11 May, 2009

FO Posting: Cleaning Set

Here is my latest FOs: Reversile Swiffer Sock, Dust Mitt, Tawashi and Cotton Dishcloth (woven w\ crochet trim). This matching cleaning set was my gift to my Mom for Mothers Day.

FO Posting:  Cleaning Set

First up is the Reversible Swiffer Sock (for dusting & mopping). This is from a pattern on the craftstylish website. The pattern calls for two solid color yarns for a striping effect; but I prefer the way this variegated (Banana Berry {color 0994} Red Heart Super Saver) yarn worked up.

This is a fairly simple pattern... it only takes a few hours (even for a slow hooker like me!)... when first reading the pattern, i couldn't grasp it... but the accompanying pics (with further explanations) made it crystal clear.



This is the view from the top.


According to the the pattern, the acrylic yarn will build up static electricity, which will make the dust and dirt cling to it... so i modified the idea just a bit to make a dust mitt.


I was running out of the variegated yarn and so added stripes in Spring Green and Bright Yellow Red Heart.

(i seem to have a lot of red heart in my stash)


here is the matching tawashi (which is actually the first piece made of this set)... this one is my own design with sc, hdc, dc and 3-stitch bobbles (for a little extra scrubbiness).



and lastly, here is a dishcloth made from two hand-woven (on a weavette-type rectangle loom) rectangles; and trimmed with crochet. this was made in in matching colorways in Lily Sugar'N Cream cotton yarn. (also from my stash)

i think it looks really nice when folded like this

but when unfolded, you can see the yucky looking middle seam... i just stitched the loops together... but it really turned out ugly. i can tell that i need to experiment with connecting the individual woven pieces!

in hindsight, i think i should have trimmed each rectangles with sc and then crocheted them together and then trimmed with crochet.

any advice or suggestions regarding joining handwoven pieces is much welcomed!

--------------------------
i really liked the eco aspects of using the reversible swiffer sock and am working on one for myself to test the usefulness of these (and waiting on my mom's review); if the results are positive, then i will probably make me about 3 for myself to use.

No comments: