13 April, 2009

FO ALERT: Little Green Rose Purse



Here is my latest finished object... a little green purse (made from red heart) and adorned with a little crocheted rose and some vintage rose buttons for closures.

As you may know, I have been spending lots of time in hospitals... as my father-in-law recovers from a stroke. For those of you who have asked about him or sent comforting wishes... thank you. You dont know how much I appreciated your concern. He is now home and working on recovering with the help of Home Health Care. At this point, he still has no movement on his left side. But he is working hard and doing his therapy exercises obsessively... if anyone can do this through sheer determination, it will be him!

Anyway, while visiting him in the various hospitals, i always brought along a some yarn and a hook. I needed to do something to keep my hands busy and my mind calm. For me, crochet is perfect, each stitch is as comforting to me as prayer beads.

I just started out with a rectangle of hdc (for you trivia geeks, that is my favorite crochet stitch)... i love the "striped" effect of that stitch!


i added a smaller rectangle (with stitches going the other way) for the flap of the purse. made buttonholes on the flat. Then i made the strap... which also forms the sides and reinforces the bottom... long enough to wear cross-body style.


here is a peek at the lining ... which is actually a cloth napkin that was on clearance! I did realize that I definitely need to work on my sewing skills!


here is a close up of the strap detail...


and here is a shot to give you an idea of size and strap-length.


the rose i used to decorate this purse was adapted from this pattern.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I love it! It looks great! I like how you've got the stitches going in a different direction on the flap.

I'm sorry about your FIL. I'm glad he's at home now. Maybe recovery will be faster since he's in the comfort of his own home.

I've been wondering about you. I knew I hadn't seen or heard anything from you inawhile. Nice to see you're back.