25 October, 2011

Finished: Crochet Jack O'Lantern

One of the things I love most about living in South Philly is that so many people decorate for the holidays!  I just love looking at everyone's front window displays!

Well... I am no pumpkin carver...so I thought I would crochet a jack o'lantern for our front window.

I used Red Heart SuperSaver yarn from my stash... It's my favorite yarn for crochet 'sculptures'... And a G hook for tight stitches.  The piece is stuffed with a bunch (i didnt count) of saved plastic grocery bags.

I started with a basic ball-shape and then added a stem.  Next, I crocheted all of the facial components: eyes, eyelids, nose, mouth, teeth & tongue.  No patterns... But just basic shapes...

Once all the facial features were completed, I (starting with the nose) began stitching them onto my pumpkin.  I decided to stuff each of the eyeballs (they each contain 1 bag)...which really made them puff out.

It wasn't a difficult project... Mostly time-consuming... Since I am a slow crocheter... But i am very pleased with the results. 

My husband built a shelf so that I could put decorations in the window AND still let the dogs sit in the window. (That's their favorite spot in the house!). Isn't he sweet? and clever?

Happy Halloween!


















No comments: